Housing Choice Voucher Program

A Federal Housing Program administered by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The program provides housing assistance to renters with low to moderate income in the form of rental subsidies.

Contact Christine Stroud, HUD Housing Choice Voucher Program Director at ext. 203 for further information.

To Report Fraud:

HUD’S Office of Inspector General (OIG) Office of Investigation is the law enforcement component of the Department.  Staff, families, landlords or other citizens are encouraged to report to the PCHC if they are aware of fraud, waste and abuse in the program.

You may also fill out the OIG Hotline Compliant Intake Form online http://portal.hud.gov which is anonymous.


Small house with rental label

The Putnam County waiting list for the HUD Housing Choice Voucher Program                                              IS NOW CLOSED                                         


If you are at risk of becoming homeless, please contact the Putnam County Department of Social Services at 845-808-1500.

Putnam County Housing Corporation
By law, you are protected from housing discrimination. The New York State Human Rights Law makes it unlawful to discriminate in housing on the basis of your source of income. This includes all forms of housing assistance (like Section 8 vouchers, HUD VASH vouchers, New York City FHEPS and others), as well as all other lawful sources of income including: Federal, state, or local public assistance, social security benefits, child support, alimony or spousal maintenance, foster care subsidies, or any other form of lawful income.
Housing providers who are covered by the Human Rights Law include landlords, property managers, real estate professionals like brokers, tenants seeking to sublet, and anyone working on their behalf
Housing providers are not allowed to refuse to rent to you because you receive housing assistance. They are also not allowed to charge you higher rent, or offer you worse terms in a lease, or deny you access to facilities or services that other tenants receive.
Housing providers are not allowed to make any statement or advertisement that indicates housing assistance recipients do not qualify for the housing. For example, a housing provider cannot say they do not accept housing vouchers or that they do not participate in a program such as Section 8.
It is lawful for housing providers to ask about income, and about the source of that income, and require documentation, but only in order to determine a person's ability to pay for the housing accommodation or eligibility for a certain program. A housing provider must accept all lawful sources of income equally. It is unlawful to use any form of screening of applicants that has the intent or result of screening out those receiving housing assistance.
If you believe that you have discriminated against by a housing provider with regard to your lawful source of income, you can file a complaint with the New York State Division of Human Rights.
A complaint must be filed with the Division within one year of the alleged discriminatory act or in court within three years of the alleged discriminatory act. To file a complaint, download a complaint form from www.dhr.nv.gov. For more information or assistance in filing a complaint, contact one of the Division's offices, or call the Division's toll-free HOTLINE at 1(844)862-8703. 

Family Self Sufficiency Program

Contact Janet Ampol - FSS Coordinator for further information.

PutFSS@aol.com or 845-225-8493 ext. 213.

Please note: Neither PCHC or the Housing Choice Voucher program provide funds for security deposits or realtor's fees.


Equal Housing Opportunity Statement

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are to barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin.

If you need assistance accessing information through an alternative means, please be aware PCHC offers free interpretive services. The hearing impaired can call TDD Relay number 711 for assistance.

Our office is handicapped accessible. If you need assistance for mobility impairments or other disabilities please contact the office via email at puthousing@aol.com or by phone (845)225-8493 prior to your appointment to ensure accommodations are in place.

Accessibility Icon White